Put encouraging notes on 5 cars in a public parking lot
Make 10 hygiene packs for the homeless.
Kick off your RAK month by bringing a breakfast treat to a teacher, co-worker or neighbor.
Our September RAK Louisville challenge was to ask people to pledge a batch of burritos for the Burrito Riders. How much more fun can a service projects be – it involves burritos and bicycles!!!
The outreach is not complicated – they ride their bikes every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month, deliver breakfast burritos to anyone who is hungry and build relationships over a period of time. How can you help? We thought you would never ask! Easiest thing ever – just make a batch of breakfast burritos (more assembling than cooking) and get it to them before their ride. You can message them on Facebook or via email and they will pick up or you can drop off. You can make them pretty much anytime and just freeze them.
This has to be the easiest way to serve!
Here is the recipe:
- 2 packages large (at least 10″) flour tortillas
- 1 dozen eggs
- 3 cans of black beans (15 oz)
- 20oz of mild salsa
- 12oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Aluminum foil to wrap the burritos
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Warm the black beans over medium heat. Add the cumin and garlic. Drain the excess liquid.
- Scramble the eggs. Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare the rice according to package directions
- Combine rice, beans, salsa and eggs in a large contained. Stir it in gently until it is all mixed.
FOLDING THE BURRITO
- On a large tortilla, place 1 cup mixture in the middle. Fold each end and roll the burrito to close.
- Wrap the burrito with aluminum foil.
Here is a link to a video that shows the best way to assemble and fold the burrito:
You can contact them on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BurritoRiders/
The crew below working hard to get the burritos done on time!
More pics and details here: http://raklouisville.com/?p=357